Monday 7 February 2011

Today, I went to Notting Hill, browsed the shops for a bit, then had a coffee and a chat with fellow Starbucks Partners. I then walked to Portobello Road, whilst on the way, noticed a "Free Classical Concert" sign...

Can't say no to free!

I went into this large 17th century church, and sat quite near the back.
I swear, for me, something about churches gives off a sad, haunted and trapped feel. They feel like such dark places, I don't know why. For most people, they bring peace, for me they bring mystery and emptiness. God knows why people worship in these places. They creep me out. It's awesome.


The majority of the music was played on two organs. One piece seemed like a ghastly, dark, epic minor rendition of Happy Birthday. Another piece drove me completely crazy, and it seemed it had been written and composed by a madman.

I ate in a lovely little Thai Roof Terrace Restaurant on Portobello Road. "Hi Sir, table for one?" - this made me smile, ironically. I had a Hot and Sour Soup with King Prawns and Mushrooms, and then realised I had no money left to get a main course.


I carried on along Portobello Road and looked around the few stalls that were open, also browsed some antique shops, whilst persuading myself not to spend £500 on an antique 3 foot clock. I bought some clothes in All Saints, and two records in Rough Trade. I bought the new(ish) Yuck 12" and Eels - A Line In The Dirt.

The Yuck 12" I've been wanting for a while, but have tried to stop myself spending money (which after spending £100 today, seems to have gone down the drain).
It includes three songs, Rubber, The Base Of A Dream Is Empty and Dark Magnet. Rubber is very dreamy (which is the trend which "new music" seems to be following recently). However, it has this raw feel to it, a lot of feedback and distortion accompany Max's desperate drowned voice perfectly.



The A Line In The Dirt single is from the End Times album, second in a trilogy of three albums, Hombre Lobo, End Times and Tomorrow Morning. E is a genius.


Now, off to the pub!

No comments:

Post a Comment